Include Heide in my Will
Heide became a public museum and sculpture park through the legacy of John and Sunday Reed, and has since evolved through the support of many other donors. Leaving a gift in your Will helps to ensure that Heide’s unique combination of art, architecture and landscape remains as enchanting for generations to come as it has been for you.
By advising us of your gift, we can ensure we appropriately acknowledge your support in your lifetime. Supporters are invited to special events with curators and artists, exhibition openings, and social functions. You can choose how much or how little you prefer to be involved, at any stage, and your privacy will be respected at all times.
photograph: Jeremy Weihrauch
How to leave a gift
Including a gift to Heide in your Will is a simple process. The steps below may help:
- Contact Barb Taylor or Clytie Meredith in Heide’s development team on 03 9850 1500 or firstname.lastname@example.org. They would love to hear from you, and are there to help ensure you have all the information you need.
- Consult your legal advisor to ensure the option you have chosen best reflects your intentions.
- Discuss your decision with your family and loved ones. This will ensure they understand and support your reasons for choosing to help Heide in such a powerful way.
- Once you have remembered Heide in your Will, please let us know. You don’t have to tell us, but we would love the opportunity to thank you.
Types of gifts
Your Will reflects what and who has been important to you in your lifetime. There are various types of bequests you may wish to consider, in consultation with your legal adviser, after you have taken care of your loved ones.
- Residual bequests are a portion of your estate, or the remainder after your other bequests and expenses have been paid.
- Pecuniary bequests are a specific sum of money.
- Specific bequests are gifts of specific items such as property, shares or works of art.
- A codicil allows you to make a gift to Heide in your Will without having to alter the entire document.
photograph: Jeremy Weihrauch
A general gift in your Will enables Heide to direct your gift to wherever it is most needed at the time, providing the most flexible donation. We would encourage you to consider making such a gift. If you would prefer that your gift be restricted to a particular area of Heide’s activities, or if you are considering leaving a specific work of art for our collection, we would welcome the opportunity to discuss your plans before you commit them to a Will, to ensure that we can honour your wishes.
The following suggested wording is for people intending to leave money, works of art or property to Heide. We also strongly recommend you seek legal advice when making a Will or making changes to an existing Will to benefit Heide.
‘I bequeath [the sum of $… Dollars] or [all of the residuary of my estate] or [… percent of the residuary of my estate] to Heide Park and Art Gallery for its general purposes.’
If you wish to make a bequest for a specific purpose, please consider the following wording alternatives:
‘I bequeath [the sum of $ … Dollars] or [all of the residuary of my estate] or [… percent of the residuary of my estate] to Heide Park and Art Gallery with a request that it be used to …